Search this Blog
How to Register to Leave a CommentYou can get a WordPress username to comment using this link.
- Enlarge 3/4" Holdfast Holes to 1"There are a variety of inexpensive and quick ways to enlarge 3/4” holes on your benchtop to 1” (or any other dimension). One of the simplest is to use a 3/4” dowel and a 1” spade bit, a technique I first saw on the Benchcrafted blog. In a nutshell, you saw a kerf down the dead center of the dowel to create a channel for the spade bit. I used an inexpensive 1 […]
- Make Your Own 1"-diameter Bench DogsBefore the 3/4” brass dogs made by Lee Valley Tools became the de facto standard size (and that 3/4” size seeped into other bits of bench hardware), most workbenches had 1”-diameter metal dogs and holdfasts. (In fact, some benches made in Western and Eastern Europe still use 1” or 25mm dogs and holdfasts.) I’ve always liked 1” dogs because they have more bea […]
- At the Erhart FoundryOur holdfasts are produced two at a time at the Erhart Foundry, which is in the old industrial quarter of Cincinnati – less than two miles from my workshop. It’s a family-run operation that has been in business since 1854; when you call them you still talk to an Erhart. Like most foundries I’ve visited, everything is red hot or soot black. No one in the plac […]
- Why a 1” Holdfast Hole?The No. 1 question we hear about our holdfasts is this: Why did you choose to make a holdfast that needs a 1” hole? Why not 3/4”, which is the standard? The quick answer: history, appearance and performance. HistoryThe ubiquitous 3/4” holdfast is a relatively modern creation. If I had to guess, I’d say that it came about after Lee Valley Tools started making […]
- Enlarge 3/4" Holdfast Holes to 1"
LostArtPress on Instagram
- crucibletool.com/blogs/news/enl… via @https://twitter.com/CrucibleTool 13 hours ago
- RT @TheRainford: Woodworking in America 2016 (Part 2) rainfordrestorations.com/2016/09/30/woo… https://t.co/ixejZqkER1 15 hours ago
- Drying Wood blog.lostartpress.com/2016/09/29/dry… https://t.co/eBFTjDfkhA 1 day ago