New Chapter: Staked Low Stool

ADB_stool_opener_IMG_0665

We sold out of copies of “The Anarchist’s Design Book” this week, so the pressure is on to complete the expanded edition as soon as possible. To that end, I have just completed the first draft of the chapter on the staked low stool.

If you own a copy of the current edition of the design book, you can download this draft chapter for free. No forms to fill out. No buttons to click to prove you aren’t a robot. Just click the link below.

ADB-Low Stool

Every draft chapter comes with caveats. Here you go:

• If you see a typo or factual error, you can report it in the comments. Note that we use AP style and don’t use the Oxford comma. So don’t bother editing this for Chicago style and then sending us a stern letter about footnotes.
  • The illustration is a CAD drawing. The final illustration will be a copperplate etching by Briony Morrow-Cribbs. So please overlook its CAD-ness.
  • The final chapter will include challenging quotations in the book’s margins plus some images of elaborations on this stool’s design.

I am now wrapping up the new chapters – just a couple more to go. Briony needs time to create the etchings, and we need to clean up all the chapters and add the details that will make the book better than average. Look for it at the end of 2019.

P.S. If you haven’t been keeping up with updates to this book, here’s a quick primer. If you own the current edition, you’ll be able to download all the new chapters when they are completed. It doesn’t matter where you bought the book – from us or from anyone else.

This entry was posted in The Anarchist's Design Book, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to New Chapter: Staked Low Stool

1. Greg says:

Thank you!

2. ballisticman says:

I have enjoyed your last several books. I can read them as I am getting dialysis as my woodworking days are numbered it seems. Thank you for your most excellent efforts,

JP

Sent from my iPad

3. Cordell Roy says:

I know you don’t fish for compliments Mr. Schwarz but that is a lovely little stool.

4. Dave Pollatta says:

I don’t own a copy of the Design book but looking forward to the new edition!

5. Kyle Barton says:

I had to look up AP Style and the Oxford comma so I won’t be sending in any corrections. But I am aware of the Chicago style from the movie “The Untouchables.” 😉

Liked by 1 person

6. ejcampbell says:

The following is a link to a news story where a court case was decided by the absence of an Oxford comma:

Looking forward to the new edition, no matter how it is comma’d.

7. Sam says:

…and if you own a first edition signed copy and like to humble brag can you also download the new chapters?
    I enjoy all your stuff and am exhausted by your work ethic.

Liked by 1 person

8. RH says:

Love the design of this…
    > Point of potential confusion. The CAD diagram shows legs set 2.0″ in. The text and picture shows 1.5″ from the bevel. Its right of course, but different.
    > pp11, 2nd para – “flip the chair” -> “flip the stool”… and the tenons should also do more than poke – I would make sure they are (lightly) seated and not rattling.

BTW: I am in process of making the ADB staked armchair (was doing the armbows and doubler today) – hoping my antipodean conversions of cut list to cm/mm is right.