Aug. 10 Free Lecture: All About Scrapers

step2_stone_scraper_edge_IMG_9125

During our most recent open day, Derek Jones gave a great lecture about French polishing for the attendees, and that made me think: We should do this every month.

So on our next open day, Saturday Aug. 10, I will give a free lecture at 2 p.m. on scrapers. This is a demonstration that I recently gave to the Society of American Period Furniture Makers. It covers sharpening scrapers, cabinet scrapers and scraping planes. Plus how to use all three tools and how to grind card scrapers to special shapes to deal with mouldings.

This is not information that I have published before. And it’s absolutely not going to be a sales pitch for the Crucible card scraper or any other product. It’s just a way for us to give back something to the woodworking community that supports us.

(I know someone is going to ask this in the comments, but we don’t have the technology to film or stream events from the storefront. So this is something that will occur in real life only. Apologies.)

Megan and I brainstormed a bunch of ideas for future lectures, everything from installing butt hinges to cutting mitered dovetails. If you have a particular topic that you would like to see, let us know in the comments and we will consider it.

As always, our open days are intended to be a fun way for you to meet other woodworkers, learn a bit about the craft and visit Covington and Cincinnati. If you ask, we will sell you a book or tool, but commerce is not the reason we open our doors.

The open day is from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 10 at our storefront. The store is located at 837 Willard St., Covington, Ky. 41011. Hope to see you there.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Aug. 10 Free Lecture: All About Scrapers

1. Steven Vlahos says:

Damn… you answered my question.

2. Dan says:

I live a long way from you, and probably won’t ever be able to make it down. But if you ever had a “sharpen this!” day, I’d try like heck.

3. peter marshall says:

I would love to attend the lectures but the 3,000 km is a bit of a drive .. so hope somewhere down the road it may be possible to stream the content . However , I totally understand that adding the technology may detract from the in-store experience. Thanks ! ( and I need one of those crucible scrapers 🙂 )

4. I had typed four different suggested topics for your lecture series, but deleted them all before posting. You’re welcome.

5. Jeff says:

What is your thought on stoning/polishing the edge?

When I was in school I was taught to turn the burr with the side of a chisel (burnishers are for suckers). My first job out of school a coworker asked if he could borrow my scraper. “Sure. Let me sharpen it for you quick.” I did it my way and he asked “you don’t polish yours on a stone?” I had never heard of doing that so I tried it later and I could not find any difference in either finish or edge retention. Is the purpose just to achieve a flat/consistent edge? I always did that with a file.

6. Meadowlane Woodworks says:

I have the Crucible scraper in addition to a Veritas #80, and have a very difficult time with them – so this is a great topic for me. I’ll definitely do my best to be there.

7. Matthew Holbrook says:

Chris:

If my vacation/travel schedule permits in the future may I present a lecture at the storefront on a woodworking topic? My sister live’s in Cleveland so traveling to the Cincy area would be doable for me. It would be my way of giving as you have given to me.

• Thanks Matthew!

If you could send a short proposal of what you’d like to teach to the contact form at my website (christophermschwarz.com), we’ll see if we can come to a good topic and date.

8. DJ says:

Any chance these type of sessions might be shared via streaming video (instagram tv), etc.? It would be great for those of us not located nearby.

Cheers

9. Meadowlane Woodworks says:

If you have a particular topic that you would like to see, let us know in the comments and we will consider it…

Here’s one that will hit close to home for you, Chris: how to photograph your work. I think you’d have people lined out the door for that one.

10. John Kunstman says:

Would you consider any of the following?

1. Show and tell. We bring projects to LAP to be critiqued by you, Megan, Brendan and other woodworkers. (Not ment as a measuring contest but as a way to point out flaws and how to improve techniques).
    2. Saw tooth geometry, sharpening, and using the right TPI for the task at hand.
    3. Breadboards, construction and applications
    4. Tusked tenon joinery

• Thanks John,

1. We do this all the time. People bring their projects to the open day for feedback. We are happy to do this as long as everyone is on the same page. Some people are looking for validation, not for a path to becoming better.
      2. We’d have to bring in an expert. I sharpen my handsaws, but send my backsaws out.
      3. We could do this. Good suggestion.
      4. I’ve done them several times, but I’m no whiz.

Thanks!

11. ctregan says:

Have you tried the Hock replacement blade in a Stanley #80? It transforms the $29 plane, into a completly different tool. I love hearing the magical “zing” sound the new blade makes. Great for leveling table leaves and other uneven surfaces.

12. Sam Cappo says:

I would love to see “Door with moulded and rebated framework”. Woodworker III pg 1000 – 1001.

I will be tackling this joint soon….it looks intimidating.

13. ctregan says:

How about a lecture on writing? I’d like to submit woodworking articles but could use a little “technical advise”. I think theres a few people hanging around Willard St. that have expirience in this department?

14. tsstahl says:

So, Chris/John, about your plans to stream all of your content…Thursdays are better for me.

Sorry. I resisted all day yesterday, but caved in this morning. 🙂

Just to cut the meme off before it starts, LAP IS NOT STREAMING OPEN DAY MINI WORKSHOPS.

Liked by 1 person