Woodpuckies

harper_woodpucky

As the wet oak is rived, I can smell my daddy’s neck. There was no other neck. Time and time again he would come upstairs out of the basement or come inside from the back yard with wood shavings (most likely white oak, his favorite) on his chamois shirt, or his beat-up boots.

I could get a bear hug like no other. And to this day, I know the scent of a Woodpucky.  The Woodpucky (a woodworker to most people) lives and breathes with wood. Always carries the scent of wood – dust probably hanging around them, on them or their clothes and hair. They understand time, growth, fit, math, structure, wet, dry – the whole gamut.

— Harper Burke, daughter of Jennie Alexander, at her father’s memorial

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Woodpuckies

1. Tony Zaffuto says:

Could not be a better paragrapgh and picture to describe a person and their legacy!

2. johncashman73 says:

I love that picture.

3. With all due respect to Jennie, her family, and her legacy, some variant of Woodpucky would make a helluva sticker.

Thank you for sharing this intimate family moment with the rest of us. We get it.

4. drewlangsner says:

Thanks for the JA post from Harper. With wonderful photo.

5. Bob Glenn says:

I must have gotten some dust in my eyes. Very moving. Thanks for sharing

6. As a father of daughters I enjoyed this immensely. Thank you for sharing.

7. Chris Hammerbach says:

I second the Woodpuckies sticker – thanks.

8. Greg says:

Is there an update on the Jennie Alexander 3rd edition book release date? Anxiously waiting.
    With respect,
    Thank you.

9. wb8nbs says:

Picky point: Is it “rived” or “riven”?

Comments? Be kind or be gone.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )