The Other Roubo Bookstand

bookstand_opener_IMG_6909

No doubt many of you are familiar with the famous one-piece bookstand from plate 331 of Roubo’s “With All Precision Possible” popularized by Roy Underhill. This past week, we decided to build a nice bookstand for the shop copy of the incredible deluxe edition of the Roubo text on furniture, and while looking at the same illustration found a second bookstand on the same plate that seemed a more fitting design for the hefty tome.

Using some mystery wood that I picked up at the final closing of Midwest Woodworking (I believe it’s a rosewood, or possibly Pao Ferro) I built a slightly redesigned version of the bookstand illustrated in the Roubo text. I’ll be making a measured drawing for the blog in the next few days for those who might be interested in making their own but I wanted to share a short video Chris and I shot that shows off the details of the piece.

Stay tuned for more details on building one of these bookstands – it can be easily scaled to any size of book and I think it’s a rather poetic build for those of you who might have one of the deluxe editions already (or maybe a good reason to buy a copy!). There’s some fun chisel work, careful joinery and simple shaping, which all lend themselves to make a bibliophilic piece of kit. I had a blast making it, and look forward to building more for my bookworm friends and clients.

Brendan Gaffney

Roubo Bookstand from Christopher Schwarz on Vimeo.

This entry was posted in Roubo Translation, To Make as Perfectly as Possible, To Make as Perfectly as Possible, Roubo Translation, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The Other Roubo Bookstand

1. hgordon4 says:

Beautiful stand Brendan! I look forward to your drawings – I definitely will be adding this to my list of things to build.

2. Randy Allen says:

Looks like it would make a nice tablet stand too.

3. Nate Harold says:

Looks great! I’m looking forward to drawings as well. I’m working on a scaled up design that is fixed rather than folding.

4. Daniel Williamson says:

Gorgeous work! Definitely looking forward to some measured drawings. I’ll build one for my father to use while studying (medical boards and Sunday school research primarily) out of some walnut that his father milled in the 60’s. Three generations based on a several hundred year old design! Can’t beat it.

Where did you get the hardware from? (Planning on clocking the screws?)

• brendangaffney says:

The hardware is nondescript solid brass butt hinges from a drawer – no brand on them and really anything will do. I’m not a screw-clocker, or as Chris puts it, I haven’t caught that form of neuroses yet.

5. Well described and beautifully executed Brendan.

6. Rob says:

Did you scale 1 for 1 in all dimensions (like a blow up on a copier) or like it needs to be 20% wider to accommodate the book’s width but only 10% in hieight? BTW – beautiful work.

If you can't spot the wiener in the comments, it might be you.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w