An Excellent Countersink

IMG_2533 (2)

My favorite countersink for wood has always been the square-drive ones used with a bit brace. They are easy to control and, when sharp, are quite fast.

I forgot to bring a countersink for a project I was working on today, and the only thing I had on hand were two that were made to cut metal. I have had them for a couple of years and use them to countersink the screws in the metal spiders on the candle stands I make, but I had not tried them on wood. Come to find out they work great in wood, too.

IMG_2536 (2)

These are available from McMaster-Carr for less than $20 each. The two I have are part numbers 2724A122 (cuts up to 7/16″) and 2724A132 (cuts up to 9/16″). These cut the cleanest countersink I have ever seen in both soft and hard woods. They also work well powered by a simple hand drill.

IMG_2538 (2)

— Will Myers

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to An Excellent Countersink

1. ikustwood says:

Indeed excellent . Paul Seller’s favorite . Hard to beat for the price !

2. Rachael Boyd says:

I have a single edge type but it is old and used in my brace. I sure don’t like the multiple cutting edge type

3. rons54 says:

Perfect combination of cutting and burnishing.

4. Jerry Dye says:

I have used these csk’s for years on both mediums, they are great. Also they can be sharpened(by a tool grinder[person]). They are available from many sources. Also come in several standard angles.

5. zeesign says:

As in this example, machinist tooling frequently serves well when working wood…for the budget conscious, try Harbour Freight, three sizes for less than $10.
    From the website(edited for brevity):
    This 3 piece countersink and deburring drill bit set is ideal for cutting through metal, wood and plastic quickly and easily. Constructed of high carbon steel for durability, this set features a quick-change shank design for convenience.(1/4 inch hex)
    Includes 5/64 in, 1/8 in. and 3/16 in. sizes
    Designed for 82 deg. cutting

6. Josh Cook says:

Great googly moogly I love McMaster-Carr.

7. Stephen Cox says:

These are also available from lee valley, as well as a hole bunch of other neet stuff for woodworkers.

8. Jason M says:

I’ve been using one of these on wood for a couple of years now after I bought it at a flea market. I actually had no idea it was meant for metal.

9. Richard M says:

I can highly recommend the zero-flute (the style shown above) countersinks from KEO cutters, made in the USA. They are very high quality.

10. Nick Gerhardt says:

I ordered one of these from McMaster-Carr after reading this blog and I LOVE this style of countersink. Leaves a very smooth divot perfectly centered around my pilot hole, which didn’t always happen with the countersinks “meant” for wood.

If you can't spot the wiener in the comments, it might be you.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w