Tool Chest: ‘Dog Bone’ Lifts

lifts_finished_IMG_1141

When I built my chest for “The Anarchist’s Tool Chest” I didn’t include any chest lifts. Why? I don’t know. I had planned on making some intricate rope beckets. But I didn’t. I guess I’m just an idiot.

Months later, Roy Underhill showed me how to make “dog bone” lifts for a chest. He makes them a little differently than I do, but the idea is the same. These are the lifts I use now when I build chests for customers. Here are the steps:

1. Make a handle that looks like a dog bone.
  2. Turn down the middle of the dog bone to a cylinder
  3. Shape the remainder of the lift with ogees, ovolos, yodas etc.
  4. Finish and attach.

For each lift, start with a piece of wood that is 1-3/4” x 3” x 13-1/2”. The handle in the middle is 1” in diameter and 4” long. So saw out the excess material as shown in the photo below:

lifts_roughed_IMG_1134

Now chuck the piece in your lathe and turn down the handle to 1” in diameter. I give the handle a slight barrel shape and incise a couple lines (because I am a fancy lad).

Now saw away the excess and shape the ends. I use an ogee and an ovolo. Then I rasp an 1/8” x 1/8” bevel on the hard arrises. Finally, drill the counterbores and pilot holes for attaching the lifts with four stout steel screws.

lifts_turned_IMG_1135

lifts_sawn_IMG_1138

Finish the lifts. Attach them.

Note that I want these lifts to look handmade (they are). I am not going for the pattern-routed look. I like the sharp silhouette of the chest with the addition of these slightly earthy-looking handles on the ends. You grab them and they feel smooth and worn. It’s Hobbit-y to me.

This entry was posted in The Anarchist's Tool Chest, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Tool Chest: ‘Dog Bone’ Lifts

1. jbakerrower says:

I thought you screwed into the thick part of the handle from inside the chest…

2. Rachael Boyd says:

that Lathe looks like it mite be a Barnes No. 3, I thought you used a Jet lathe.

3. Jars Family says:

Hobbity 😂 I like it

4. Thanks for sharing this information! I really enjoy the handmade look, as well as lines – gives it a nice touch. Certainly a great addition to an already awesome chest.

5. Gary Schultz says:

I need new door pulls on some of my outbuildings, will give these a try. Thanks C.S. Hobbit!!

6. Shawn Graham says:

Offsetting the turning will let you use a smaller blank. Save a little money.

• I turn about as well as I Disco dance.

Feel free to demonstrate this on the YouTube and I will watch!

• johncashman73 says:

I tried offsetting something like this. Once. There is enough mass on these that my puny lathe wanted to bounce across the room. A heavy lathe might be fine, if a little rough on the bearings.

Having the blank cut the way Chris shows keeps the lathe balanced while turning the center section.

7. I’m intrigued. I may have to try this, but I’m afraid the finished product may come out rather un-Lathe-y-like.

If you can't spot the wiener in the comments, it might be you.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w