Expanding ‘The Anarchist’s Design Book’

mule_chest_ATC

With “Ingenious Mechanicks: Early Workbenches & Workholding” at the printer, we are focused on getting three more books to the printer:

“Hands Employed Aright” by Joshua Klein
“Slöjd in Wood” by Jögge Sundqvist
“Cut & Dried: A Woodworker’s Guide to Timber Technology” by Richard Jones

And we are almost done with two streaming videos:

“Spindle Turning for Furniture” with Peter Galbert
“Make a Chair from a Tree” with Jennie Alexander

Luckily, those three books are in the hands of Kara Uhl, Megan Fitzpatrick, Meghan Bates and Linda Watts. The videos are in the hands of John Hoffman and others. So I can focus on expanding “The Anarchist’s Design Book” for a late 2018 release.

The expanded edition will include projects that I’d intended to build for the book. But the book would have been so huge that it seemed crazy to add those additional projects. I guess I am now officially crazy.

The expanded edition will include the following staked projects: an armchair, a three-legged stool and a settee. And it will include the following boarded projects: a mule chest, a high settle, a settle chair and a sitting bench.

Note that if you bought the un-expanded edition of “The Anarchist’s Design Book” you will be able to download the expanded edition for free. (This will be true no matter where you bought the book, whether from us or from our retailers.) There will be no need to buy the expanded edition unless you want more ballast for your ship or insulation for your home.

This entry was posted in The Anarchist's Design Book, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Expanding ‘The Anarchist’s Design Book’

1. Tal Deus says:

I want more insulation for my home. So I will be getting the new version.

2. Martino23 says:

Streaming? Some of us still like hard copies. Any chance of DVD’s?

3. Bob Hopewell says:

Chris:

I was wondering if you could explain the focus of two (2) out of the three (3) books that are being finalized to go to the Printers, namely:

Hands Employed Aright” by Joshua Klein; and,
    “Cut & Dried: A Woodworker’s Guide to Timber Technology” by Richard Jones

Unfortunately, I don’t remember seeing the blog postings on these two (2) books that are soon to be released by Lost Art Press. Thanks!

• Richard Jones says:

Hi Bob, obviously I’m not Chris, but I just happened to see your comment and question. As the author of one of the books you ask about, perhaps the best I can do is to provide a link to a short series of blogs I wrote for Lost Art Press about writing it here: https://blog.lostartpress.com/category/timber-book-by-richard-jones/

As to your specific question about the “focus”, my approach to the subject of timber technology was to write as a woodworker for other woodworkers – stuff we need to, or perhaps, ought to know about trees and wood as we work with it.

I hope that helps. Regards, Richard.

• Bob Hopewell says:

Richard:

Thanks so much for the courtesy of your response to my inquiry as to the focus of your soon to be released book. The link to the 4 blog posts that you wrote on behalf of Lost Art Press were very informative and enlightening.

I have a more than modest library of woodworking books that I’ve collected over the years and have been discouraged to discover that some of these tomes have a very heavy handed approach to the topic they purport to speak about. Several books are very technical in nature and not written from the perspective of a woodworker.

I look forward to the release of your new book by Lost Art Press and adding a copy of your book to my woodworking library.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my inquiry post.

• Richard Jones says:

My pleasure, Bob. It’s good to read that now you’ve found my blog posts they’ve piqued your interest, and if that leads to a purchase, I very much hope you find the information in the book accessible and useful. Making the information accessible to non wood scientists was a major driving force in writing the book.
          Regards, Richard.

• fitz says:

And here’s a link to some more info on “Hands Employed Aright”

4. Chris says:

I know you could probably make more money just letting people re-buy it but the free download is much appreciated. You guys are awesome and its little things like this that keep me continually wanting to buy your books and products. Thanks again.

Respectfully,
    Chris Johnson

5. Robou made a big book of furniture… Go full Robou man.

6. Daniel says:

I think this is remarkably generous – thank-you Christopher & Lost Art Press

7. simon stucki says:

awesome news! will the expanded edition have the same odd format or will it be like the larger LAP books (like the “woodworking in estonia”-size). as it is now it really doesn’t fit in 🙂

8. ikustwood says:

Dear Chris,

The fact that you make those extras free for anyone who had the chance to buy your book previously makes LAP a piece of Art all by it self !

Cheers!

Ps: insulation is indeed welcome in my country!

9. Seven (is my math ok?) more projects? Yey! Eagerly awaiting for more seating solutions to mess with my mind. Seriously.

10. Derek Long says:

I’m curious to see the high-back settle. I was just looking for ideas for something just inside the house front door. Timely.

11. John Passacantando says:

That’s a very gracious offer for the Anarchist’s Design pdf. I’ll use my savings to buy other books, first on the list being Sundqvist’s. Still slowly working through Anarchist’s Design, I have to say that I think the book is entering the woodworking canon with “Soul of a Tree,” and “A Cabinetmaker’s Notebook,” only Anarchist’s Design, while having spirit and philosophy like the other two, is also the most useful and foundational “how to” book I have ever worked with in any area.

There is a really stupid saying that goes “Those who can, do, those who can’t, teach,” that despite the clever word construction is dead wrong. Many more people can “do” than can teach well. In Anarchist’s Design, Chris seems to have broken woodworking and design down to its essentials and then reassembled it into a pedagogy that I can work through on my own. What a gift. If I had time for another career, I’d happily start from the bottom, sweeping a great woodworker’s shop. But I don’t have the time. Chris has spilled the secrets to the Kingdom. If the Greeks had a god of woodworking, Chris would be on Zeus’s hit list.

12. jpassacantando says:

13. অস্থির যাযাবর says:

Thanks for making the ‘expansions’ available for free for those of us who already bought the book Chris, really nice initiative.

14. Eric Dobson says:

I’d give away my current edition and gladly buy the expanded, if only it also had the black painted page edges.

15. edfurlong says:

Once again LAP lead the way in honest publishing. Thank you for validating your readers’ trust in you and keeping faith with your anarchist customers integrity. I will hoist a draft to you tonight, and perhaps more!