Changes (Good Ones) at Lost Art Press

LAP_logo2_940

Thanks/no thanks to the turmoil in the world of woodworking publishing, we have acquired another editor to work on our books, blogs, videos and other projects.

This announcement should be no surprise.

All of you know Megan Fitzpatrick, the former editor of Popular Woodworking Magazine. During the last 11 years, she’s always been happy to help Lost Art Press with editing, which she did on the side whenever she could spare the time.

Today, Megan joins Lost Art Press as a managing editor. Like Kara Gebhart Uhl, Megan will work on all of our titles on a daily basis. This addition to our staff will have profound implications for you, the reader.

Here’s why. Kara and Megan can already read my mind, and they were both an important part of creating the ethos that guides Lost Art Press: 1) Treat everyone with the same respect. 2) Give away as much content as possible.

With both of them on board, I can step away from doing every single task involved with publishing our books. Kara and Megan will manage the day-to-day tasks of book publishing. This frees me to research and write more books for Lost Art Press. This has always been my greatest (and perhaps only) strength.

Please don’t think that this means that I am stepping away from Lost Art Press. I work seven days a week (by choice and by joy), and Lost Art Press is my baby. Bringing Megan on as a regular ensures that I can continue to explore the unknown, while she and Kara ensure our books are of the highest editorial quality.

Don’t believe me? Just wait.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

71 Responses to Changes (Good Ones) at Lost Art Press

1. boclocks says:

Excellent?

2. lclement4 says:

Welcome aboard, Megan. I really loved your contributions to Popular Woodworking and I look forward to following you on your next journey.

3. SSteve says:

That’s fabulous!

4. DiscoFunkRefugee says:

I think that’s fantastic! I enjoyed Megan’s tenure at PW, and I think Megan and Lost Art Press together can only mean good things. Congratulations!

5. jtolpin says:

This is wonderful! Congrats Megan.

6. alan - planesaw says:

Chris, having met you a couple of uneventful times, but not knowing you other than through your writings, this sounds like a great decision that can multiply your influence and impact on woodworking. Congratulations to you, and Megan.

• fitz says:

I’m happy to have the opportunity to free up some of Chris’ time – and to, as a result, have more of his books to read!

7. Andrew Brant says:

Welcome aboard! I’m not surprised, but very excited. All the best talent out there is going toward Lost Art Press, and their loss is our gain as a community.

Liked by 1 person

8. I recall an evening before a Woodworking in America conference when Megan was running around the venue, rushing between the marketplace and the classrooms, dealing with a million different things. I was on my way out, and she chased me down to make sure I had everything I needed to teach my classes the next day. Then she spent ten minutes helping my wife and I choose a restaurant in the area. She described at least half a dozen of her favorites in detail, sharing bits of information about the atmosphere and the menu, so we could find the perfect place. The whole time I was thinking “Doesn’t this lady have anything better to do than worry about and our dinner problems?” The fact is, she did have better things to do. Lots of things. But all that was important to her at that moment was taking care of us, two people she hardly knew. That’s just one of several small stories I can tell about how Megan made an impression on me while she was with Pop Wood. I always enjoyed working with her, and I was sad to see her go. But Pop Wood’s loss is Lost Art Press’ gain, and I have a feeling we’ll see her again. Maybe my wife and I will drive down for a class and to take her to one of those Cincinnati restaurants she turned us on to. 🙂

9. Kevin Maloney says:

AWESOME! Lost Art Press just keeps getting better all the time! Congratulations to you Chris on making such a wise decision bringing Megan onboard. She will be a real asset being a larger part of Lost Art Press. Congratulations to you too Megan!!!

10. KA Cruise says:

Congrats Megan!

11. Kim Howarter says:

Looks like a good hiring decision to me. Now Chris has 3 women to keep watch over him!

12. ejcampbell says:

I really enjoy watching Lost Art Press grow and mature.

Eric Campbell Ejcampbell1950@gmail.com 617 803 4824

13. tombuhl says:

Congratulations on a good step forward, allowing you to step back into your primary passion. Proud of you and your team. Thanks for the efforts and brilliant dedication.

Liked by 1 person

14. Congratulations to all the Lost Art Press Family, I truly love all that you do for the Woodworking community. Megan will be a true asset to LAP, I have the pleasure of following her on IG where i find her comments very funny at times. All the best to everyone.

15. Anthony says:

Well and truly done, good show.

16. calebjamesplanemaker says:

Great addition. A+

17. Mark Harrell says:

So pleased to hear this—wonderful!

18. johncashman73 says:

Ah. This is the meaning of the phrase “The rich keep getting richer.”
    If Megan and Kara can read your mind, they have my sincerest condolences.

19. Eric from Dayton says:

To be – or not to be, that is the question. For LAP and Megan the answer is yes, “to be”. Looking forward to all the great things that will be accomplished by the LAP Anarchists and Hobos Union.

20. mysticcarver says:

A great thing indeed! I have the utmost respect for you and her as well. I am looking forward to all the good things!

21. rons54 says:

Congratulations to LAP and Megan. I foresee good things for the woodworking community as LAP grows.

22. ScottF says:

Congrats Megan. Awesome news. Wishing more good things for you all.

23. nrhiller says:

YAY! Congratulations to all of you.

24. ben lowery says:

Congrats Chris and Megan!

25. Michael O'Brien says:

Wonderful news on Megan joining the LAP team, and not unexpected.

26. pathdoc70 says:

That is wonderful news and my warmest wishes to Megan all of the great LAP team.
    Cheers,
    Michael O’Brien

27. jayedcoins says:

Congrats! Chris, I’m guessing this might be the easiest decision you’ve ever had to make. 🙂

28. smkindem says:

Awesome!

29. Mike Siemsen says:

Congratulations all around. Things just keep getting better at L.A.P..

Liked by 1 person

30. Megan Fitzpatrick stole my lunch money in the third grade and put it towards IKEA furniture.

Not really. She’s awesome. Congrats!

Liked by 1 person

31. About damm time! Finally a little class around the joint.

32. Kent Ryan says:

“Fitz edits The World!”

Liked by 1 person

33. A very good change indded.

34. edfurlong says:

Great to hear-congratulations Megan! Having read much about Megan’s interests I can only say: Verily, doth this portend a quarto volume upon Elizabethan Woodworking?

35. Amelia Price says:

Fantastic! LAP is my go to publisher and I count on the information and insight contained in your work. I have learned so much from your books and blogs. Well Done! Looking forward to an inspired future.

36. Dave Reedy says:

Megan, I wish you the absolute best in your new position.

37. Mark Maxwell says:

Any hints on what subject your next book might talk about?

38. Ocirgi says:

Lost Art is becoming more and more of a Power House in the world of woodworking not only in a technical sense, but in a philosophical sense that gives it so much life and purpose. Congratulations to all at Lost Art Press Megan is powerful asset.

• Mark Maxwell says:

Lost Art Press is responsible for renewing my interest and passion to be a better at the craft. I find myself constantly evaluating/reevaluating my own work and have respect for the hard work of others. I definitely don’t take quality furniture for granted anymore!

39. Quercus Robur says:

The dream team! (And also a very funny bunch)

40. joel says:

sooooooooo when does fitzpatrick write her book. personally, i can hardly wait.

41. Kyle Barton says:

Congrats Megan!

42. Shawn Graham says:

Great news. Will she instituted a bring your cat to work day of the week? I recommend you let her otherwise a neighborhood one will recognize an opportunity.

43. LarryBarrett says:

Congratulations to all at LAP.

44. fitz says:

A blanket (sorry) thank you for all the kind words. I’m teary-eyed (which happens but rarely).

Liked by 1 person

45. Explore the unknown?! Ooooo I can’t wait for that book on bespoke bird houses!!!

46. Matthew Holbrook says:

Congratulations to you”all at Lost Art Press !

1. Megan.
    2. A proper knowledge of and respect for the English language that comes with Megsn.
    3. Chris has more time to do the thing that all this writing and all these new books are about – woodworking
    4. More classes at the storefront
    5. More experiments in the Schwarz woodshops (hand tool and Electric Horse).

Keep up the good work.

Liked by 1 person

47. Congrats to Megan on her newest career move, and to Chris for growing his business to the point where he needs another employee. It looks like I’d better clear another shelf on my woodworking bookcase.

48. leeboyz86 says:

Two thumbs awy up! Best wishes to everyone at Lost Art Press!

49. DR_Woodshop says:

Funny … I thought she was already on staff. Congrats Megan! Looking forward to the silverware trey class this summer.

50. Chris says: