‘Carving the Acanthus Leaf’ Off to the Printer

CTA_mockup_1000

Mary May’s first book “Carving the Acanthus Leaf” has been delivered to the printer and we will open pre-publication ordering on Friday.

The book will be $49 (which includes shipping in the United States and Canada). All customers who place pre-publication orders through Lost Art Press will also receive a free download of a pdf of the book. The book should ship before Thanksgiving.

This is a massive book. It’s 336 pages and filled with more than 1,000 full-color step photos and illustrations demonstrating how to carve 13 different acanthus leaves, from an understated Scandinavian version, to the classic Greek to the gorgeous Renaissance-style leaf. Woodworkers of all skills – from the beginner to the seasoned carver – will find lots of techniques explored and explained.

CTA_dustjacket_full_1000

“Carving the Acanthus Leaf” will be a hardbound book with a tear-resistant dust jacket. The binding will be sewn and glued so the book will sit flat on the bench for many years without the pages coming loose.

We will have more details on the content – including a free excerpt – on Friday. As always, we will offer this book to our retailers across the globe but it is up to them to stock it. So I don’t have any information on who will carry it.

— Christopher Schwarz, editor, Lost Art Press
Personal site: christophermschwarz.com

This entry was posted in Carve the Acanthus with Mary May, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to ‘Carving the Acanthus Leaf’ Off to the Printer

1. nrhiller says:

This is extremely exciting. Aside from being an outstanding teacher and a joy to be around, Mary is an artist who can make a block of wood sing. Look at that cover — well, look at both covers, front and back! I can’t wait to read this book and improve my carving skills. Congrats to all involved in this massive project.

2. Marilyn says:

Yippee!!! So excited .. and .. at lost for words. Just yippee!

3. You had me at Mary May. I would pay twice that price for any book she writes. Absolute, pure talent.

4. Patrick says:

In my best Homer impersonation: WooHoo!

5. I am beyong thrilled, I’ve been holding my breath for this one and about out of air!

6. Matthew Mizner says:

Been waiting a long time for this print! Can’t wait to grab a copy…

7. What’s the intended audience for the book? Say I’m handy with chisels but never carved anything, would it be over my head?

8. winstonbirchill says:

were can we order??

9. alanws says:

I guess I can wait until tomorrow to order, but only because I have to. I’ve been waiting since the project was announced.

The prepublication free pdf is a really nice perq: I prefer paper books, but more often have my computer with me when I find a free moment.

10. marymay485 says:

Thanks so much everyone! It’s been an amazing process and Christopher has been incredibly patient with my obsessive nit-pickiness. I don’t think it has hit me yet that I’m actually finished. I’m now going to sleep for a week… or more…

11. Very interesting. Looking forward to this.

If you can't spot the wiener in the comments, it might be you.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )