Nancy R. Hiller: On the Importance of Conjunctions

Edwardian-Hallstand

Edwardian Hall Stand by Nancy R. Hiller, 2002

A few years ago I met one of our town’s most respected figures: a husband and father who has held several elected public offices and devoted his career to the cause of social justice. As we shook hands he said, “I understand that your work is very good, but not very cheap.”

“But?” I wondered, biting my tongue.

— Nancy R. Hiller from “Making Things Work: Tales from a Cabinetmaker’s Life

Nancy will read from her new book at the Lost Art Press storefront at 7 p.m. Saturday at 837 Willard St., Covington, KY 41011. We still have about 15 spots left; get your free tickets here.

This entry was posted in Making Things Work, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Nancy R. Hiller: On the Importance of Conjunctions

1. hgordon4 says:

Book is great – thoroughly enjoyed it. Evening should be interesting and fun. Impossible to drop in from Florida.

2. jfthomas70 says:

I read your book, very enjoyable. I don’t think I could have persevered as long as you did.

3. bobbarnettpe says:

I went into business for myself 31+ years ago as a structural engineer. My goal was to always be the most expensive in the area. I was going to do quality work and I wanted to be paid well. Good clients understood that I would do what I said I would do, when I said I would do it and save them money on the construction cost. People who wanted something different went to other people. I was more than happy to let the competition have the bad jobs. Never back away when someone says I can get it cheaper. Just smile and say “Well maybe you should do that.”

4. By what law of economics–or common sense–would work that is very good be very cheap?
    Wish I could make it to her reading. I think I’ll be buying her book.
    Rick Bowen

Sent from my iPad

5. asarumcanadensis says:

I did buy Nancy Hiller’s book. It is very good. And not very expensive. And great value. There, no buts to it.
    Compelling and merciless: not a superfluous sentiment is expressed. After reading “Making Things Work”, I realised that Nancy Hiller sits at the same table as another author, also compelling and merciless – J.M. Coetzee. I’ll borrow part of a phrase of his as a last comment on this book: aphoristic and acutely provocative.

6. whodave says:

Hello miss Nancy, hopefully you’ll have books for sale at Lost Art Press this Saturday. I’ll be dropping in from Austin, I’d love an autographed copy. Road trip. Whoo hoo!

7. holtdoa says:

I just finished reading Making Things Work. I enjoyed it. Remarked to my wife that it was the first woodworking book I had ever read with sex in it, now she’s reading it .

8. jmwagle86 says:

You may have gotten him back when you referenced him while using the terms “cause of social justice”.

9. wfariss says:

This not a comment on Nancy Hiller, however it appears that this is the only way one can ask a question of Chris Schwarz. Question is: Where do you source your White Pine boards?

• Apologies. But having public email basically ground my life to a halt.

For years I bought my white pine from Midwest Woodworking in Norwood, Ohio. They are gone. So I don’t have a reliable source now. Apologies again.

• gilgaron says:

You may want to talk to your local sawmill. If you’re in about Ohio:
      I didn’t buy it at the time, but the fellow who runs Kreis Sawmill in Marysville showed me some white pine they kiln dried and it was probably the lightest wood I’ve ever handled. I don’t think it is something they usually stock but if they know they have a customer looking for it I’m sure they’d keep their eyes peeled for a suitable log. Might even be able to get them to dry some construction lumber in their kiln? Looks like Muterspaw has pine, too.

10. charlie says:

Conjunction junction, whats your function?

If you don't do it, don't say it.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )