New Street Numbers and Stable Door at our Storefront

willard_street_numbers_IMG_5391-(1)

Though I’ve been up to my neck in “Woodworking in Estonia” and building a Danish Modern Campaign chest, I’ve been sneaking in a little work on our Willard Street storefront.

Most of that work is happening in my savings account. We need a new roof. And because we want one that will last longer than we will, it’s going to cost us about $19,000. Good thing Katy works at a grocery store and gets a discount on generic ramen.

I’ve been working on our facade a bit; I removed the furry (yes, furry) exhaust fan and rebuilt the top of our entrance to have three windows. This improvement lets in even more light. Then I hired designer Nicholas Moegly to paint our street numbers on the new center window.

The numbers are hand-painted and then gold leaf is applied in what is called a Boston gild. I’m still sweeping up little scraps of gold (I have a little PTSD from the glitter).

nicholas_IMG_5369

Nicholas’s work is outstanding. You can see the street numbers from a block away and they look a lot classier than the plastic Blaze bar sign we inherited. We should receive our new custom entry door in the next week or so. And after I install that and the fire exit signs, I’ll hire Nicholas to paint our logo on the new door – once I get city approval.

stable_door_shop_IMG_5540

The other progress is in the stables. Today I finished building a braced and ledged door for the stable’s entrance to the courtyard. This doorway was formerly secured with a tarp. The door was a blast to build because I did it all by hand.

I also built and installed a new door frame and I’ll hang the door on massive strap hinges tomorrow.

With the stables secure, I can start to lay a new wooden floor and (after replenishing the savings account) reconnect the electric service to the stables.

stable_door-in-frame_IMG_5541

This entry was posted in Lost Art Press Storefront, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to New Street Numbers and Stable Door at our Storefront

1. 2u55 says:

Speaking as a muti-flat-roof-on-old-brick-buildings owner… I say go with the Duro-Last and never look back.

2. Bob Easton says:

It’s great seeing the gold leaf street number. It looks fabulous, and so will your new logo on the door.

“City approval?” Oh, dear diety! We can’t have you crudding up the neighborhood with a classy sign.

3. charlie says:

I envy your clutter free shop. Most woodworkers (eh..not me, of coarse) are jammed to the gills with old jigs, scrap lumber and unfinished projects. I believe It liberates the creative spirit when you’re not confronted with old stuff from the past every day.

I like your builds, maybe we’ll see more in the future?

4. toolnut says:

It’s amazing how that nice new door makes the paint color on the stable wall look not so nice. On the plus side, you can forget the Ramen, just look at the stable wall and you should lose your appetite fairly quickly. Win win!

5. Tim Raleigh says:

That door looks great!

6. John Lhotka says:

Really enjoyed making a pair of similar ledged doors for my workshop rebuild, https://jlhotka.wordpress.com/2016/05/. Instruction in Doormaking and Window-Making and illustration on notching ledge doors in The Woodworker: The Charles H. Hayward Years really helped. Not to mention the ability to edge planes these doors in the croquet hook on my bench built after the Naked Woodworker. Thanks for making these resources happen. Just an example on how they have helped.

7. Is that last picture showing the entrance to the “back room where the beer was” during the open house? I’m having trouble picturing where this door goes – it’s pretty cool though.

8. Happy to see the hiring of a Sign Painter. Sign painting is the second oldest profession. do you know what the first one is? 🙂

Can’t wait to see the finished store front with the full painted/leafed glass.

9. Paul Murphy says:

That is one dynamite looking door! I love it.

10. holtdoa says:

I think beggar is actually the oldest profession…because someone had to ask for it (the second oldest profession)