‘The Woodworker: The Charles H. Hayward Years’

hayward_binders_

I have stopped counting the hours and the years that we have been working on this huge project to revive hundreds of articles written and edited by the late great Charles H. Hayward.

Right now, only one number matters: I get the pre-press proofs back in less than 17 hours.

After years of technical and legal challenges, not to mention thousands of hours of work by a team of people all over North America, we are on the verge of publishing the first 888-page book of Hayward’s work at The Woodworker magazine from 1939 to 1967.

This first book will be split into two bindings: one on hand tools and one on hand techniques. Future books will focus on joinery, shop appliances, workshop furniture and historic drawings of important furniture pieces executed by Hayward.

These first two books will be sold as a set for $80, domestic shipping included. We’ll also offer them separately for $45 each if you aren’t sure you want to commit.

I can promise you this: No matter how awesome you are at handwork, no matter how much you know, this book will teach you lots of things that will make you better.

When will it go on sale? Good question. Because of the complexity of the project, we’re running a test signature on the press to make sure the images come out crisp. Once we get past that hurdle, we’ll offer pre-publication ordering.

Note, due to our contract with the copyright holder, we cannot offer a digital edition of this book.

P.S. Stay tuned for excerpts from Hayward’s autobiographical series of articles.

This entry was posted in Charles H. Hayward at The Woodworker, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to ‘The Woodworker: The Charles H. Hayward Years’

1. Ruben "Rube" Villanueva says:

I just finished “The Easential Woodworker” and loved it. Now I have to have this set when it comes out.

• Ruben "Rube" Villanueva says:

I just realized I posted a book by Wearing and not Hayward. Thanks for not calling me out on that. Either way, can’t wait for the books to come out.

2. ejcampbell says:

I’ve been waiting for this. Oh boy, oh boy! Another book I am waiting for: I vaguely recall a mention in a blog (which I couldn’t find) of a comprehensive book on turning in the works. Did it get dropped? Or is my memory off?

3. Are the articles going to be grouped by topic or chronologically?

If the latter, will there be an index to look up articles that are on the same or related topics?

4. hgordon4 says:

No digital is a bummer. I really like having the books and the PDF on my iPad. Books stay in the library / iPad goes out in the shop.
    Normally I don’t hesitate to remove the binding and scan a book to make myself a PDF. I just can’t see doing that to your beautiful books though…

• oldret1sg says:

I find myself buying 2 copies of books I really like; one for the library and one for the shop. The Shop copy usually usually ends up pretty worn and ratty with notes, drawings and other scribbles in it. But I just started using the kindle my son bought me for Christmas 3 years ago in his effort to “bring me kicking and screaming into the 21st Century”, (reference the 3 year delay), So now maybe I can do the digital thing in the shop and the hardcover in the library. Guess I’ll have to learn to add notes, drawings, etc electronically. More 21st century influence on an budding anarchist.

• fitz says:

My old ipad used to go to the shop. After dropping a hammer on that one, the new ipad stays far away from tools.

• miathet says:

I really like the PDF as I can print a couple pages and write on, stain and damage in the shop while the book stays clean. I am accumulating a notebook of pages with my notes about the book on them for stuff I’ve built.

5. richardmertens says:

This is a terrific (and monumental) project, but I do have a question. I have a number of Hayward’s books, which cover a lot of the same ground and are all pretty slender. I can’t help wonder how this collection–this tome!–will compare to what Hayward himself published in book form.

• It is more granular. Because he had to fill 12 issues a year for 30 years, he said a lot more in the magazines than he could in the books. He covers obscure topics, areas the books don’t go. And these articles give a taste of the time – when handwork was still very much alive.

It’s hard to describe.

6. Sam Burdick says:

Goodness gracious, this year is getting off to a rip roaring start. First the book in design and now this, wow!

7. stillad says:

I wish we could post pics/gifs in the comments section… but you’d probably get tired of all my “shut up and take my money!!!” memes.

8. stillad says:

In other words I’m very excited for this release.

9. gtrboy77 says:

Two questions. First, just out of curiousity, who holds the copyright to The Woodworker magazine? And second (but not necessarily related), what’s the status on the Woodworking in Estonia book?

• The copyright is held by the publishing company in England that owns “The Woodworker.”

“Woodworking in Estonia” is edited and designed. We are just finishing the detail work with the translator (wait, “drawing knife” is not a “draw knife?”) Little stuff. We plan for a summer release.

10. gburbank says:

My copy of “woodwork joints” has become so ragged from years of use I’ll be jumping on this one. Just a thought: For those of us committed to the entire set, might there be a subscription/package arrangement for the works? Regardless, I’m in for the long haul. Thank you, gentlemen!

11. studioffm says:

I met Charles Hayward at the beginning of my career in woodwork nearly forty years ago. He was a unique person, i believe that he trained as a maker and as a draughtsman. That he had worked in a large cabinet shop both as maker and draughtsman . He came to journalism later in life and was able to put on the page vivid diagrams that explained complex concepts far better than a photographs. This was at a time when “The Woodworker” was required reading

My copies of all his books are ragged with use. i advise all students at Rowden “buy anything by Charles Hayward”

I hope we can give you some good business . Thank you for doing this, you are living up to your name of saving information valuable to a new generation “Lost Arts” indeed

David Savage

12. Derek Long says:

Well, there goes another $80 of my money into Lost Art Press this year. Looking forward to this one, a lot.

13. gregla2 says:

Just curious, will the future books (joinery, shop appliances, workshop furniture…) be created as part of a “set” or series books from LAP?
    Thank you for the effort to get this to print. Looking forward to owning it…