Yes, we Have Studley Postcards. Here’s Why

studley_postcard

If you order a copy of “Virtuoso: The Tool Cabinet and Workbench of Henry O. Studley” directly from Lost Art Press you will still receive a commemorative postcard with your order.

Our plan was to offer 1,000 postcards and order a few extra in case some of the postcards were spindled or mutilated in transit. When ordering from our supplier the next tier up was 2,000 postcards.

As a result, we have a few hundred left in our warehouse and will continue to ship them with every domestic order until they are gone.

One other note: The first press run of “Virtuoso” is nearly depleted. So if you are one of those people who desires a first edition, you better click quickly.

This entry was posted in Virtuoso: The Tool Cabinet and Workbench of Henry O. Studley. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Yes, we Have Studley Postcards. Here’s Why

1. kendewitt608 says:

I got the book last week and the planning and care that went into it scream out at you. If I ever get
    caught up this spring I will go cover to cover.
    Chris, I know you do not want to get in the poster biz but what about letting Narayan Nayar or Don Williams or the combo do it.
    The old FWW one I have had many years is lonely.

Thanks for all the effort that went into this book.
    Ken

• Ken,

Don and Narayan are more than welcome to get into the poster business. As mentioned before, our warehouse is not cut out for it.

Glad you like the book!

2. trainman0978 says:

Congratulations to the success of the book. I was standing at the mailbox last week when the mail truck arrived. I think this book will become like James krenov’s first book…. Printed en masse and available everywhere.

3. This is the first time I have seen the Studley cabinet’s ‘door’ at this angle – correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn’t the tails be on the stiles?

4. m46opie says:

Chris,

Thank you once again for publishing this book. A new “classic” in the woodworking/tool
    worlds. What a delight from cover to cover.

For anyone who is still on the fence about buying this book, get one. You will not regret it.

Mark Singleton
    Santa Maria, Ca

5. Chris
    There is a typo in page 52:
    “…even the apparently modest front of the closed Studley cabinet belies the QUALIY”

I thought you were interested to know for the next printing.

6. ricklindsey50 says:

How much is the book anf where do I order it from

Sent on a Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note® 3

7. eldredma says:

I’ll echo trainman above, congratulations on the success of this piece! I’ll admit that the undertaking seemed risky (even) to an outsider. Managing to move this product so quickly without the help of some great holiday really speaks to the instincts of the company and how well it knows its customers. I will never silently worry about the future of the company again…

8. My first case of “the trembles” occurred when a turned to Narayan’s photograph on page 2. The light emanating from the chest and the composition create a beautiful as a image, but the photograph is spectacular when placed in context of Don opening the doors to a treasure. The book gave me the trembles several other times. On page 37 I was overwhelmed in a way similar to when I’m in a great museum. My mind can only handle so much before it has to shut down and regroup.

“The Adventure Begins” page reminds me a great novel.

Photographers sometimes get overlooked, so I was glad to see Narayan’s chapter. It helped set the tone. I love the sentence… “It took only five minutes standing in front of the tool cabinet and bench for those plans to disintegrate.”

Oh heck. I could go on and on about the writing, photography, layout and the book’s physical quality. Let’s just say the words “awesome” and “wonderful” fit this work.

9. Scott Taylor says:

Another vote for the beauty and craftsmanship of this book, it has dominated most of the week since it arrived. I have been interested in Studley’s cabinet since the FWW back cover long ago and this does not disappoint. Also as a Freemason I found the section on Brother Studley’s Masonic activities and inclusion in the chest very interesting.

Thanks again to LOP and all the efforts to keep this alive.

10. gyegreene says:

A possible new slogan or t-shirt: “LAP: Associated with many things Studley.” (Also: “Wish thou to see pictures of my Studley chest?”)

11. A few more things to fix up when you correct that typo:

Orphans: pgs. 4, 5, 32, 40, 52, 55, 60, 189, 194 (also an atrocious break (…ev-//er-new…)

page bottoms are ragged / not flush, so no reason for such, similarly, no formal grid, so it’s bizarre that the first line of a paragraph is above two images on pg. 62, then the paragraph continues below them. Similarly on pg. 80, identifying head for Center Gauge appears vertically high than the matching photo, while the same for Drill gauge is pushed down below (on pg. 86 the same elements are consistent — heads are higher than matching photographs, but on the facing pg. 87 they’re inconsistent again). Lots of trapped white space throughout (e.g., pg. 106).

Bad breaks: pg. 27 top (…compa-ny logo.¶), pg. 33 (hyphenated a 2 line paragraph), pg. 76 (… “Russell Jen-nings.”¶), pg. 155, last line of second paragraph is (was.”), pg. 192 (…an ev-//er-flowing…), pg. 193 (…many of//us). The index formatting is painfully bad (at least to me) — I’m fairly certain it’s InDesign’s defaults w/ no adjustments and set in two too-narrow columns. It also ends on a short page, just 7 lines in a single column, almost over-whelmed by the furniture (book title and folio in the upper left corner of versos).

Also fractions are set as shilling style: 1/8″ (pg. 56), w/ a hyphen if after a whole number (pg. 59), a lowercase “x” is used to indicate dimensions rather than the proper symbol, × (pg. 57)

It’s really a shame that the micro typography isn’t be as perfect as the text, the photography, or the tool chest which is the subject of the book.

If you need any help w/ typography or building paragraph and character and object styles to minimize such, and improve automation, let me know.

William

• Another typo, misspelled the title of the book on the inside front cover. You have Henery an you used a hyphen, not an en-dash in the date range.

• Also, how is Sandor’s surname spelled? It’s Nagyszalanczy in the text on pg. 44, but Nagyszalanczky in the photo caption on that same page.

• Copyright line should be:
      © Copyright YYYY claimant

T.O.C. has Photography Credits, but that section is Image Credits

Pg. 19 ― “… were within [an] easy walk…”
      Pg. 45 ― “…when it [was] just the cabinet…”
      Pg. 48 ― “The maelstrom of mail _led_ Peter…” (you have lead)

In addition to the orphans and other minor typographic infelicities there are a number of stacks, pg. 159 has a three word stack of the and there’s a really bad set of rivers/stacks on pg. 76.

• I wrote:
        >Copyright line should be:
        >© Copyright YYYY claimant

That got mangled by some HTML being left out — should’ve noted that it could be either the symbol, or the word and that having both is redundant, but typical.

12. misterlinn says:

That does it! I’m not buying it ’til all that’s fixed. Oh wait, I’ve already bought it…

13. @ William Franklin Adams: Uhhhh, OK. Also, is regard to “typography isn’t be as perfect” – I’ve never heard anyone use the term “Isn’t be” . I have no idea if it’s grammatically correct, but it sure sounds like a typo when read out loud.

@Chris Schwarz: It’s a lovely book and I am proud to own it. Thanks for taking the time to make it.

• Yeah, it’s a typo. Unfortunately, I can’t see that it’s possible to go back and edit things here. Thank you for pointing it out. I’d like to believe that standards for informal communications such as blog postings and comments would be a little looser than for a published book.

Would you have a suggestion on where I can point out the errors in this book, and the myriad typographic failings of it that Lost Art Press will deign to acknowledge?

• William,

Thanks for your list of mistakes. We receive a lot of mail and comments, so it’s difficult to respond to every one individually.

We’ve seen your corrections here (and on other boards) and are working on the second printing.

All best,

• Thanks for the response. As I noted, a lot of these difficulties could be fixed by just tweaking some settings, a bunch more could be found w/ basic GREP searches, many more could be fixed w/ use of paragraph and object and character styles.

Found another typo: pg. 77 missing space after the word include.

• Another error — marking gauges (69 and 116) do not appear in the index
        Also, you repeated the photo of the Flat pliers (pg. 142) where you should have had the photo of two pairs of jeweler’s pliers (pg. 70)

• Also missing from the index:

depth gauge, pg. 73
        nipper, adjustable jaw cut, pg. 73
        drill bits
        augers
        bevel gauges
        wire gauge
        sheet metal gauge
        center gauge (yes, I know these are all under gauge, , but it would be a service to the reader to list these both ways)
        knife honing rod
        rod, knife honing
        knife, felt
        Ivory rule
        Backsaw, rip
        Rip backsaw
        Backsaw, crosscut
        Crosscut hacksaw
        Spirit level
        Container, round
        Round container

Also, if the intent was to use italics to indicate photographs, it would behoove one to mention this intent, and to use a typeface where this is more readily discernible.

• If you’d like to actively proofread and find errors which I’ve made, I spend a fair bit of time volunteering on the Shapeoko (an opensource CNC machine) wiki — any errors which you’d care to point out (other than the inconsistent capitalization of ShapeOko which I’ve already pointed out, but which is at a lower-level than my account has access to) would be welcome.

14. Steves Shop says:

Received by books and opened package today. No cards inside. You shipped on 5-29-15.

Thanks

Steve Hasebroock

15. youngd24 says:

Chris, sort of related (barely).. Just saw the Woodwright episode on the Seaton try square, there’s no way I could tell you had trouble with mortising, you came across really well. Question, what’s the dimension of the blade? Look like 2 1/2″-3″ x 12″ based on the stock being around 2″x12″. Can’t comment on that old blog post directly.

16. Finished a first pass at listing the tools: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/List_of_Tools (will need to add the specialty and unknown tools).

Comments and corrections welcome.