Revising the Seat

JKW_seat_revision

Today I’ve been sketching a new seat for the three-legged backstool. Here’s where we are at 3:59 p.m. and ready for a beer after a long day of editing.

This entry was posted in The Anarchist's Design Book. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Revising the Seat

1. diondubbeld says:

I like the new look better! Less bench, more chair…

2. meanmna says:

This may be odd, but would it be possible to get a view from the bottom?

3. The beer will definitely improve productivity! …or was that moral???

4. trainman0978 says:

Leave the seat as is…. Make the legs a little thicker…. Or tapered thin up top to just a hair thicker at bottom.

Every body has a different idea on aesthetics though…,

5. Bob Jones says:

Looks like it went on Weight Watchers.

You forgot to put two legs in the back and one in the front to see what happens…

• Dave Fisher says:

I’ve tried it that way, and it works well — just like the one leg back style does. Good design Chris. I love the way you took the time to make the appearance of the grain symmetrical on the front of the crest rail (as seen in your previous post).

6. Like it.

Funny how in my work, no amount of drawing replaces seeing the actual finished thing…

Beautiful chair, and really useful process, thanks Chris.

7. Alex A. says:

I cannot wait to see the original, drawn on picture, and new version images from the same angle side by side.

Thank you for showing us your process.

8. I like the chair, but I think I need to build one to get a handle on the three legged thing. I’m enjoying the experimenting with staked furniture; I’ve just been drawing a coffee table in this simple ‘staked furniture style.’ Also, I wanted to email this, but alas, I understand; if you have a moment, here’s a blog post about the two tool chests and a blanket chest I built all inspired by your book and blog. http://doesyourcityhavecountryroads.com/three-handcrafted-chests/ Thanks, Chris!

9. Brian Clites says:

I’m interested in this whole slimming down thing. Your instict is probably right, but I do like the contrast between the beefy seat and spindly legs. For the next photo shoot of this chair (or revised build), could you please include another chair for a sense of scale? A manequin would be fun too, you know, if you have one lying around.

10. I like the slimmer neater seat. Here’s a little something for you to consider.

If you spay the the back spindles going up to the crest you would then balance out the splay of the front legs. From straight back it would give it a bit of an hourglass shape. You could then taper the seat sides towards the back leg. Now, if the seat sides have the same angle as the splay angle of the front legs and the spindles are also at the same splay angle the whole design would tie up neatly.

Your mileage may vary.

11. ctregan says:

A smaller seat makes it looks like Pottery Barn furniture (ouch!) Keep seat large, take advantage of the seat thickness by sculpting the seat more… looks flat. Love the seat edge treatment on larger version. Need to be bold and exaggerate certain features to make it original, otherwise you will keep paring it down until it looks generic.

12. carpenterman says:

Looking at your sketch-over, searching to improve the aesthetics of the design, a thought occurred. Just like you are laboring to perfect form and function, perhaps these chairs ‘evolved’ over time as the original builders where looking in a similar fashion for ways to make the chairs more pleasing to their tastes, while maintaining function and stability. A little thinner here, trimming the shape there, add an extra leg, etc etc.
    To me chairs present the biggest challenge in woodworking, your research greatly helps to demystify them.