Blood Brother of the Plaid Golf Bag

“My envy is all too frequently aroused by those marvelously equipped cabinet benches that the hardware store displays at its center of interest in a holiday window. Folding doors are thrown back, bristling with tools of every conceivable kind; the top lid is raised to display supplemental racks of more tools; drawers and cupboards hold neat arrays of supplies….

“The cabinet workbench is a blood brother of the plaid golf bag; there is no inherent reason why its owner should not do great things with the contents, yet he rarely does.”

— Henry H. Saylor, “Tinkering With Tools” Little, Brown, and Co. (1924)

This entry was posted in Workbenches. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Blood Brother of the Plaid Golf Bag

1. Jim B. says:

I love that.

2. Matt says:

That’s outstanding writing.

3. John Cashman says:

I’ve never heard of that book. Is it any good?

4. Aaron says:

Do you have a link to the full page ad? I am curious to see what they consider a “marvelously equipped cabinet” back then. Also, you see some shops in magazines equipped with a lot of high end tools and wonder if the owner ever uses them for real work. It is truly a waste to equip a shop and never use it to make furniture or art pieces.

5. abt says:

That’s what my workbench looks like when I [deliberately] don’t want to get anything done. Out of the box, the setup says’ ‘Overload!’. The in-your-face reminder that your work can be very involved and ‘steppy’ can be overwhelming. I’m worn out just looking at everything.

6. shavemaker says:

Looking at the full-page ad and doing a little quick math – that’s a heck of a lot of tools for $80! Sigh, the good ol’ days.

7. JimK says:

A friend of mine has one of those… I think they were made by HAMMACHER SCHLEMMER & COMPANY. A really neat “gentleman’s” work bench that works nicely in the parlor with saw dust accumulating on the Persian rug.

8. Dave says:

That set up has to weigh about 1100 lbs, But I do like the tail vise, it looks stout enough to crack walnuts.