flutes: A channel or furrow in a pillar, resembling the half of a flute split longitudinally, with the concave side outwards. Some authorities refer to Doric columns as “channeled” because they have a sharp arris at the meeting of the edges of each flute. They suggest that flutes require fillets between them to be real flutes.
Search this Blog
How to Register to Leave a CommentYou can get a WordPress username to comment using this link.
- My Lucky ScarsWhen I was about 11, my parents took a trip to Cancun and left us with Hazel, a Nurse Ratched type with a beehive hairdo, a messed-up back and a matching disposition. It was Halloween, and so we were carving pumpkins in the garage. I was using my Cub Scout knife – improperly. The knife slipped and slashed the web between the thumb and index finger on my left […]
- Make Your Own Linseed Oil & Wax FinishA finish made from linseed oil and beeswax is an easy-to-apply, tactile finish that I like for turnings, vernacular chairs and other objects that don’t require the protection of a film finish, such as varnish or shellac. The finish, which I call linwax, is available from suppliers such as Swede Paint, or you can easily make your own in a couple hours. The ni […]
- Clamping a Chair is Like Hugging an EelOne of the challenges when building a chair is clamping the dang thing down so you can work on it. I’ve seen lots of solutions that use band clamps. But I dislike band clamps (perhaps I had a bad experience at band camp). So here’s what I do. Most workholding problems can be solved with handscrew clamps and holdfasts, including this one. First you squeeze th […]
- Ingenious Chinese Planing StopThere isn’t enough written in English on the woodworking of the Chinese, who have a long and amazing woodworking and technological history. But today I’ve been gobbling up “China at Work” by Rudolf P. Hommel (MIT Press, 1937), which focuses on tools used for making other tools (blacksmithing), food, clothing, shelter and transportation. Unlike other contempo […]
- My Lucky Scars
LostArtPress on Instagram
- Experiment: Making My Own Cold Bleached Linseed Oil toolerable.blogspot.com/2017/02/experi… Brian is nuts. That's why we're friends. 1 hour ago
- This came in the mail today and I wondered: Hey Scott, what happened to your Delta machines? https://t.co/MAWxfgqLqo 16 hours ago
- If you've ever wanted to know what a panic attack feels like, listen to Wilco's song "Spiders (Kidsmoke)." 16 hours ago