flutes: A channel or furrow in a pillar, resembling the half of a flute split longitudinally, with the concave side outwards. Some authorities refer to Doric columns as “channeled” because they have a sharp arris at the meeting of the edges of each flute. They suggest that flutes require fillets between them to be real flutes.
Search this Blog
How to Register to Leave a CommentYou can get a WordPress username to comment using this link.
- At the Erhart FoundryOur holdfasts are produced two at a time at the Erhart Foundry, which is in the old industrial quarter of Cincinnati – less than two miles from my workshop. It’s a family-run operation that has been in business since 1854; when you call them you still talk to an Erhart. Like most foundries I’ve visited, everything is red hot or soot black. No one in the plac […]
- Why a 1” Holdfast Hole?The No. 1 question we hear about our holdfasts is this: Why did you choose to make a holdfast that needs a 1” hole? Why not 3/4”, which is the standard? The quick answer: history, appearance and performance. HistoryThe ubiquitous 3/4” holdfast is a relatively modern creation. If I had to guess, I’d say that it came about after Lee Valley Tools started making […]
- How to Drill & Ream a Holdfast HoleOne of the reasons the Crucible Iron Holdfast works so well is there is a close fit between its untapered shaft and its hole in the workbench top. To get this tight fit, we think you need to drill each hole in your workbench and then gently ream it out a bit to get a nice, close fit. It takes about two minutes per hole. But the results are worth it. To bor […]
- Where to Locate Your Holdfast HolesNo matter where you place your holdfast holes on your benchtop, we recommend you have a reason for each one – not just a vague feeling about its location. The pattern we recommend is based on historical examples, including the writing of A.J. Roubo and the dozens of vintage benches I’ve examined during the last 10 years. Each hole has a purpose. Here’s the m […]
- At the Erhart Foundry
LostArtPress on Instagram
- Collapsible Bookshelves blog.lostartpress.com/2016/09/22/col… https://t.co/qH3aURHPvt 3 days ago
- ‘Stanley Catalogue No. 34’ Has Arrived blog.lostartpress.com/2016/09/21/sta… https://t.co/vT4TA89EVw 4 days ago
- Crucible Tool is Now Open for Business blog.lostartpress.com/2016/09/21/cru… https://t.co/OqH0XpINHp 4 days ago