egg and dart: An ornamental device often carved in wood, stone or plaster quarter-round ovolo mouldings, consisting of an egg-shaped object alternating with an element shaped like an arrow, anchor or dart. Some historians contend this ornamental device is supposed to represent the duality of life (the egg) and death (the arrow).
Search this Blog
How to Register to Leave a CommentYou can get a WordPress username to comment using this link.
- The Truth About Flush-cutting SawsFlush-cutting saws offer an amazing promise: They can cut a dowel or tenon flush to its surrounding surface without causing any damage. The truth is, however, no matter how awesome your flush-cutting saw or how skilled you are, things can go wrong. The most common problem is the saw can drift slightly. And with a flush-cutting saw, any drifting can be disast […]
- My Lucky ScarsWhen I was about 11, my parents took a trip to Cancun and left us with Hazel, a Nurse Ratched type with a beehive hairdo, a messed-up back and a matching disposition. It was Halloween, and so we were carving pumpkins in the garage. I was using my Cub Scout knife – improperly. The knife slipped and slashed the web between the thumb and index finger on my left […]
- Make Your Own Linseed Oil & Wax FinishA finish made from linseed oil and beeswax is an easy-to-apply, tactile finish that I like for turnings, vernacular chairs and other objects that don’t require the protection of a film finish, such as varnish or shellac. The finish, which I call linwax, is available from suppliers such as Swede Paint, or you can easily make your own in a couple hours. The ni […]
- Clamping a Chair is Like Hugging an EelOne of the challenges when building a chair is clamping the dang thing down so you can work on it. I’ve seen lots of solutions that use band clamps. But I dislike band clamps (perhaps I had a bad experience at band camp). So here’s what I do. Most workholding problems can be solved with handscrew clamps and holdfasts, including this one. First you squeeze th […]
- The Truth About Flush-cutting Saws
LostArtPress on Instagram
- Estonian Spoons and Bowls blog.lostartpress.com/2017/02/23/est… https://t.co/RpZfBy4pMQ 1 day ago
- Lie-Nielsen Hand Tool Event in Covington,@Ky. blog.lostartpress.com/2017/02/23/lie… https://t.co/uYj7QGczCO 1 day ago
- Experiment: Making My Own Cold Bleached Linseed Oil toolerable.blogspot.com/2017/02/experi… Brian is nuts. That's why we're friends. 1 day ago