Unpacking the Douro Chair

douro_assembled_IMG_8541

My Douro chair from Christopher Clarke Antiques Ltd. arrived yesterday morning, and I shot this short video of the unpacking and assembly process.

The chair’s mechanism is exceedingly simple and ingenious, and I’m excited about building a version for my own travels. It won’t require any custom hardware as best I can tell.

The table/crate is enormous – tall enough to eat off of or work as a desk (in a pinch). And it is built like a tank. The corners are reinforced with iron. The hinges and lock are built for heavy service.

The chair itself is quite comfortable – like a Morris chair with springy armrests.

Enough gloating. I have work to do.

About Chris Schwarz

Publisher of woodworking books and DVDs specializing in hand tool techniques.
This entry was posted in Campaign Furniture. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Unpacking the Douro Chair

1. Mark A says:

Any chance we might see a version of this in a future book or PW article?

2. jonathanszczepanski says:

Does anyone else find it ironic that it was shipped in a crate?

3. The perfect furniture for the “International Man of Leisure.” Complete comfort no matter where you travel. Bravo!

4. fitz says:

Bourbon & Wally–two of my favorite things.

5. Tom Dugan says:

What’s the weight in the crate?

Also, we’re going to have to get you a real shot glass like grownups use.

6. wchilds2014 says:

Absolutely Love It-I want to build one!

7. Very cool. The ending made me laugh and marvel at what a hipster Chris is. I look forward to the books. Two years ago we moved into my condo and I did a massive purging of book shelves to make room for the rest of my family. My wife now watches me with amazed frustration as I fill them out with Lost Art Press books. I don’t care, she has her shoes and I have my books.

8. When you get a chance (Ha!), can you share dimensions and details about the box-table? I envision building a version that can hold two (or more) version of the “standard” roorkhee chairs.

9. Very cool chair. What kind of blade do you carry?

10. toolnut says:

When does the building of your version commence? (By the way, an old broken analog clock set to 5:00pm would look right at home on the table next to the bourbon.)

11. Theron Ball says:

Perhaps the next book will grant you a belt. Ha! Looks great.

12. Chris Murphy says:

Lovely chair, I look forward to seeing the ones you make.

What’s the source of the tune for the video?

13. HD video is much appreciated.

14. lwprecht says:

I am sure the chair was spendy, but how much did it cost to ship it from the UK and how long did it take?