I know it looks as if we’re running a woodworking school, but when classes aren’t going on (which truly is the majority of the time), the Lost Art Press storefront is Christopher Schwarz’s working woodshop and publishing office where he develops furniture ideas for new books, and works on editorial and design for upcoming titles. (And he generously allows Brendan Gaffney and me to hang out there and produce shavings, too.)
But the classes are a lot of fun…so we’ve added a few more for 2019, including several from Chris, who’s easing back into teaching after a couple of years of taking it easy (on that front, anyway), along with some guest instructors (including Roy Underhill, and the return of Chris Williams from Wales!). Plus, we’ve added a handful of one-day, three-day and week-long classes. Almost all the classes have room for no more than six students, so you get a lot of personal attention from the instructor (whether or not you want it!) and his or her assistant (which is often Chris, Brendan or me). Plus, you can try out our tools (well, I volunteer mine, anyway) and seven different bench forms, and relax (as time allows) in the Mechanical Library or in the biergarten. And there is usually a group dinner and visit to a local watering hole. In short, it’s a great time.
This Friday (Oct. 12) at 10 a.m. Eastern, registration goes live for the January through June 2019 classes listed below (we’ll announce July-December classes in early 2019). Click through to each to read the full descriptions. If you’re interested – and I hope you are – I recommend being poised at your keyboard at 9:59 a.m. Eastern; these tend to sell out quickly. But do sign up for the waitlist if you don’t get in right away; life happens and things change. And if you can’t make it for a class, the storefront (837 Willard Street, Covington, Ky., 41011) is open on the second Saturday of every month from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. for all your Lost Art Press book needs, woodworking questions, tool instruction and more.
Note: For questions about the classes, please email me: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Staked High Stool with Christopher Schwarz, Jan. 19 & 20
• Anarchist’s Tool Chest (full-sized English chest) with Megan Fitzpatrick, Jan. 21-25
• Starting with Staked Furniture with Brendan Gaffney (simple staked bench and chair), Feb. 4-8
• Staked High Stool with Christopher Schwarz, Feb. 16 & 17
• Dutch Tool Chest with Megan Fitzpatrick, Feb. 22-24
• Build a Staked Armchair with Christopher Schwarz, March 4-8
• Build a Shaker Hanging Cabinet with Megan Fitzpatrick, March 16 & 17
• Greenwood Post-and-rung Stool with Andy Glenn, March 23 & 24
• Høj Footstool with Brendan Gaffney, March 30 & 31
• Build a Boarded Bookshelf with Megan Fitzpatrick, April 6 & 7
• Make a Roubo Bookstand with Roy Underhill, April 12
• Make a Roubo Bookstand with Roy Underhill, April 14
• Saw Sharpening 101 with Matt Cianci, April 25 & 26
• Saw Sharpening 101 with Matt Cianci, April 27 & 28
• Carve the Acanthus Leaf with Mary May, May 4 & 5
• Build a Krenov-style Handplane with Brendan Gaffney, May 18 & 19
• Build a Welsh Stick Chair with Christopher Williams, May 20-24
• Build a Krenov-style Handplane with Brendan Gaffney, May 25 & 26
• Dutch Tool Chest with Megan Fitzpatrick, June 14-16
• Build a Traditional Plate Rack with Nancy Hiller, June 22 & 23