Look Mom, I Made the Cover

PW_october_2014_cover

Even though I’ve been writing for newspapers and magazines for 25 years, it’s still a thrill to be on the cover or the front page. This month, a campaign-style bookcase I built for a customer is on the cover of the October 2014 issue of Popular Woodworking Magazine.

The folding clamshell bookcase is my own design that is inspired by bookcases I have observed and measured during the last few years in my research for “Campaign Furniture.” The bookcase is in sapele. The finish is garnet shellac.

It’s a really good issue of the magazine, overall. And if you don’t subscribe, here’s where you can remedy that.

In addition to my piece, there’s a great article by Willard Anderson on restoring wooden-bodies bench planes. And Don Williams, the author of “To Make as Perfectly as Possible” has plans for a clever sawhorse that folds flat.

Oh, and Peter Follansbee, the author of “Make a Stool from a Tree” is now the Arts & Mysteries columnist. (Congrats to both Peter and the magazine.)

About Chris Schwarz

Publisher of woodworking books and DVDs specializing in hand tool techniques.
This entry was posted in Campaign Furniture, Make a Joint Stool from a Tree, To Make as Perfectly as Possible, Roubo Translation. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Look Mom, I Made the Cover

1. knewconcepts says:

A well deserved congratulations, Chris.

Lee (the saw guy)

2. Chris Haynes says:

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone

3. kendewitt608 says:

Are those four green books, The Practical Woodworker ?

Love the case !

4. fitz says:

Er…didn’t mean to hijack here, toolnut. But no, not in hardcover: paperbacks, though, will be available very soon.

• toolnut says:

(Sorry for getting off topic, it was the blog equivalent of blurting something out. – Brain not fully in gear.)

Back to the topic of the post, I will agree with Chris that it is a very good issue of the magazine. Lots of good stuff.

5. Both of you, C. Schwarz and P. Follansbee , are among my few all-time favorites, even in spite of all your lovable peculiarities. Please keep up all of it!

6. bloksav says:

Congratulations.
    That is a fine looking cabinet (or probably more correct bookcase)
    Now you just need to get Megan & Co to let you make a cover version of a lighthouse bookcase.

Does anyone know what has happened to Adam Cherubini?

Brgds
    Jonas

7. MattC says:

Don’t forget to buy 5 copies for your mother.

8. tsstahl says:

Congrats!

I really like clamshell bookcases. My impression of the piece when you blogged about was: ‘too complicated for me’.

Now that I’ve read the plan in depth, my impression is: ‘Can’t be that easy!’. I’m oversimplifying, obviously, The point is, it is a very approachable project. Thank you. :)

'The History of Wood' -- Nominated for a Stanley Golden Hammer Award

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )