A Correction to my Entry on Polissoirs

stools_polissoir_IMG_8908

My recent article on the new polissoirs from Don’s Barn and a long-term test of the burnishing effect from the tool had a significant error: The photo showed the wrong sample board.

That similar-looking sample board was given to me by woodworker Steve Schafer – he’ll be blogging about the finishing schedule on that sample board in the near future.

Last tight I rooted through my wood rack to find the mahogany sample that I prepared 18 months ago. I made it halfway through the rack without finding it; when it turns up, I’ll post a photo of it.

In the meantime, here are photos of two projects that I finished with a polissoir about the same time I made the sample board. These two stools were finished with a polissoir only on the lathe. Like all properly prepared polissoirs, it had a little wax on the tip, which was applied when I first got the tool. But I wouldn’t call this a wax finish. It’s a burnished finish, much like the burnishing finish you get when you use shavings to polish a piece spinning on the lathe.

So the result isn’t wrong – just the photo.

Apologies for the error. I should have marked Steve’s sample board as it is very similar looking to mine.

— Christopher Schwarz

About Chris Schwarz

Publisher of woodworking books and DVDs specializing in hand tool techniques.
This entry was posted in Finishing, To Make as Perfectly as Possible, Roubo Translation. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to A Correction to my Entry on Polissoirs

  1. that’s it I’m unsubscribing……………hack

  2. toolnut says:

    Off topic but what was the result of the guess the weight of the Studley chest contest. Jameel’s recent post brought it to mind and I can’t find it anywhere on the blog. Thanks.

Comments are closed.