Not to Know

“To know and not to do is not to know.”

Wang Yangming (1472-1529), Neo-Confucian philosopher

About Chris Schwarz

Publisher of woodworking books and DVDs specializing in hand tool techniques.
This entry was posted in Books in the Works, Furniture of Necessity. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Not to Know

1. Tom says:

I’m neo-Confused.

2. Sean says:

Kinda like that Yogi Berra quote that goes something like – In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

• fitzpatm says:

Reminds me of a fave grad school joke. French academy: Well of course it works in practice — but does it work in theory?

3. Anything can be done, if you’re willing to do what it takes to get it done. Only those unwilling to even try say it is impossible.

Yes, that is original to me.

• cmhawkins says:

I believe Darrell’s intentions are good, but I don’t know why people says thing like this. What purpose does it serve? Thousands of things are beyond our capabilities and no amount of effort will change that.

4. Paul says:

Nothing is impossible, it just takes a little longer……….

5. John Cashman says:

“Live with a man 40 years…share his house, his meals, speak on every subject…then tie him up and hold him over the volcano’s edge.  On that day, you will finally meet the man.” — Shan Yu

6. mike siemsen says:

John,
    I would say at that point he has gotten to know you better as well.

7. Mikey says:

I know I shouldn’t buy wood from the home store, but I don’t really know that…

Had a thought whilst driving today, my car would look fancy with a Lost art press pair of dividers bumper sticker, just sayin’!

8. Jon says:

Do, or do not, there is no try – yoda

See, I can put obscure ( or not so obscure ) quotes down too. But I’m not trying to prove how much smarter and superior I am than everyone else.

9. John says:

It seems that Wang Yangming anticipated internet message boards.

10. Sam says:

Learn by doing. Nice post.

11. 1400 years earlier, sometime before 62 AD, James said – Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.

So the real question is: If you envision creating a masterpiece (or anything good for that matter) and don’t make it, is that a sin?