A Thing is Created

“The faster a thing is created, the more fleeting its permanence.”

Friedensreich Hundertwasser

About Chris Schwarz

Publisher of woodworking books and DVDs specializing in hand tool techniques.
This entry was posted in Books in the Works, Campaign Furniture. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to A Thing is Created

1. joemcglynn says:

Ohh, I like that quote! It’s not entirely accurate (conception come to mind), but I agree with the sentiment.

2. David Moore says:

Judging by my productivity, the things I make should last forever.

3. Tom says:

A question comes to mind: What did the original makers of campaign furniture do about wood expansion in tropical climes? I have a teak blanket chest that’s lined with camphor wood, made in Taiwan or Hong Kong about 50 years ago, and its joinery has suffered from moisture changes.

4. Don Slaughter says:

Please don’t be offended if I ask “What kinda thing is it?” I pride myself in being able to identify the use of most “things” by looking at them but every”thing” has become so specialized it is becoming harder.
    I recently ‘created’ a saw bench (subsequent to all the hoopfala that led to my purchase of old and new panel saws both rip and crosscut until I am now saw poor) and everyone who has seen it asks “What the hell is it?” This question allows me to “create” an answer to fit the asker which is good because ‘askers’ are specialized too.
    Nowthen …. what is it?

5. Rob says:

Can permanence be more or less fleeting? Something lasts indefinitely or it doesn’t. The more fleeting its existence, perhaps.

6. Iain White says:

The Domino’s cup sat on the end of the bench is a nice contrast with the Campaign Chest – really illustrates the quote, I think.

7. Tony says:

What are the peg looking things on top – reference for the top? What do you think of the mahogany so far?

8. Terry L Miller says:

Chris, what is the final thickness of the case? 7/8″ maybe? Looks like it has some beef to it. Nice.

9. Megan says:

Nice pulls! Know where else you can see those (yes, still).

10. Terry L Miller says:

Coincidentally, My wife and I were rearranging furniture today to make way for a beautiful roll top desk (I know, I would have rather been in the shop) and one of the furniture pieces we moved was a 5 piece stack-able lawyer’s book case. Looks an awful lot like campaign furniture to me, or at least a close cousin. There was, at one time, a ton of them out there. I assume the very oldest of these book cases were originally brought across the pond by lawyers from England etc.

11. ecrusch says:

Then most of my projects should last a millenia !

12. Mark Harrison says:

That dictum has been deprecated. Software is incredibly hard to make and takes a lot of effort. It is often out of date before it is even shipped to customers! :)

13. Kenny Horne says:

Not sure where lathe work fits here. I have created bowls and spoons along with other lovely things that I’m certain will still be enjoyed well beyond my lifetime. I jokingly call the lathe my rapid prototyping machine to my more digitally inclined friends.

14. Philip Lorenz says:

It’s a nice touch you picked a Hunderwasser quote for this project. The man despised straight lines. He just wouldn’t use them. And he was an architect… go figure.

• lostartpress says:

Phillip,

I’m not a fan of Hunderwasser’s buildings. But he did have some interesting ideas.

• Philip Lorenz says:

Same here. I am, however a fan of nicely proportioned straight lines. I think it’s a much greater challenge to make “simple” designs look good than load them up with distractions.

15. Dave says:

A wise old journeyman once told me “Never call a thing a thing” especially in front of a customer, if they hear you call it a thing, it lessens it’s importance & thus the importance of the person called to work on it.
    If the customer thinks it’s just a “thing” then anybody can work on a “thing”